Sensing the Invisible: Detecting Carbon Monoxide Leaks

Odourless, tasteless and colourless, carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is difficult to detect. Even its effects are hard to identify, as the symptoms resemble those of flu.

The invisibility of carbon monoxide is its most lethal characteristic. The following usually cause the occurrence of gas poisoning:

  • Problems in the gas plumbing system
  • Problematic generators
  • Car exhaust
  • Leaks in water heaters, stoves and furnaces
Is there a leak?

Detecting carbon monoxide leaks is basically looking into the symptoms you experience. If you notice that you are experiencing flu-like symptoms (except for headaches) that only subside when you go outside or change location, there is a chance the gas is already wafting within your home. You may also check the reactions of your pets, as they are susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.

Pay attention to the odour. While the gas has no smell, the faulty plumbing or appliance may emit a suspicious odour. Check the pilot light of your stove for some irregularities. If it produces blue flame, chances are it is leaking carbon monoxide. Check your windows and glass surfaces for excessive condensation.

What to do?

NEVER attempt to repair the leak yourself. If you suspect that the leak comes from the gas plumbing, turn off the main gas supply. Do not use grills or charcoal-fuelled burners inside your home. Vacate the room where the gas is saturated. Counter the presence of carbon monoxide by opening doors and windows. Stay outside to get fresh air.

If the problem is not rectified as soon as possible, it may result in more serious repercussions, such as explosions and fires. Leave it to the expert.

Contact us today to repair gas line problems or similar emergency cases. Browse through our website to learn how we resolve different plumbing issues.

About the Author

Leave a Comment

twelve + 17 =